As Fort McMurray remains under a mandatory evacuation order, ensuring the safety of those directly affected and their families continues to be our first priority. We continue to evacuate all non-essential staff and other evacuees who are currently at our Albian site on flights to urban centres where resources and support await their arrival.
Shell emergency response teams on the ground in Fort McMurray continue to support local and provincial fire crews and we are donating fuel to first responders in the region. Production at our Shell Albian Sands mining operation (capacity 255,000 bbl/d) continues to be shut down so we can focus on the evacuation efforts. We do not have timelines for when production will resume.
“The dedication and level of care shown by all those who have worked tirelessly on the response efforts is nothing short of inspiring,” said Shell Executive Vice President Oil Sands, Zoe Yujnovich. “While our main focus continues to be on the safe evacuation our people and community members out of Albian, our thoughts are shifting to the longer term as to how we can support the community’s recovery and rebuild efforts. We are looking at ways we could safely resume some of our mining operations, however it’s too soon to say when this could happen.”
- The Albian site remains safe and secure. As a precaution we are working to enhance the fire mitigation and protection around our operating facilities.
- More than 7,000 individuals have flown out of the Albian Aerodrome on more than 80 flights since May 3, via multiple airlines who have generously allotted planes and staff.
- Air quality at site is being continuously monitored and remains at a safe level. We will continue to monitor.
- Evacuated staff have been asked to get in touch with their supervisors to discuss next steps. We have also set up a phone line staff can call for information on recent developments.
- An employee donation program has been set up with the Canadian Red Cross to be matched by Shell and the Alberta and Canadian governments.
Construction Labour Relations Manager
Shell Canada Limited