Job Stewards Course
Local 110 Training Centre is offering “Job Stewards Course” on Tuesday 19th of December 2017 at 7:00PM at the Edmonton Hall .The course will be at the Local 110 Training Centre (1st floor) and Calgary via video conference.
Phone: 780-440-6832 to register
Congratulations to the 2016 Insulators Training Trust Winners
Leszek Kaczmarczyk, 1st Year
Cole Albers, 2nd Year
Rory Copeland, 3rd Year
Each recipent will recieve $1000 from the Insulators Training Trust Fund. Congratulations!
Red Seal Certification
Effective June 1st, 2015 all Journeymen who have successfully passed their Red Seal Exam may use the Red Seal Endorsement (RSE):
Attention All Apprentices
To search for availability for the apprentice school year:
Effective September 1st, 2015 the following requirements must be met BEFORE the Training Trust will reimburse for tuition, book fees
1st Year: Must complete and supply Training Centre with Asbestos Removal ticket ,Standard First Aid – Level C and H2S Alive
2nd Year: Must complete and supply Leadership for Safety Excellence from the ACSA, Job Steward
3rd Year: Better Supervision Certificate or the Foreman Training Program from Calgary, proof or results from writing the Red Seal Exam, if not passed, the in-house Red Seal prep program must be taken. Must show proof of complete the Leadership for Safety Excellence Certificate from the ASCA.
Reimbursement will be done once all requirements are met, certificates are on file, the Tuition Reimbursement Agreement is completed and the member is in good standing with Local 110.
Upgrading will be done once a stamped Bluebook from AIT is submitted to the training center. Journeyperson upgrading will be done once an AIT JM certificate is supplied to the training center.
All payments will be processed once per month via cheque and mailed to the address on file.
To remind you of your obligation under Section 16 of the Local 110 Working Rules and Bylaws, apprentices “… must advance their apprenticeship by regularly attending the technical training that is required in order for the contract of apprenticeship be completed. An apprentice who fails to do so by failing to register for classes or canceling a registration will be required to appear before the Executive Board to explain their reasons for their failure to comply, and may be subject to a penalty to be determined by the Executive Board”.
Training Trust Fund
Dan Annett or Stacy Edmondson are the Local 110 Training Coordinators. The Training Centre is on the 1st floor of the Union Hall at 9335- 47 St.
Prior approval is needed from the Training Coordinator before any training can be taken.
Asbestos Removal and Abatement Courses
All dates are tentative and can be cancelled due to a lack of enrollement.
Safety Coordination Services (SQC)
- Edmonton location: Contact them at (780) 485-3585
NAIT – Asbestos Removal & Abatement
- Edmonton location: Contact NAIT at (780) 471-6248 or toll free at (877) 333-6248
- Upcoming Dates: http://www.nait.ca/course_insu106.htm
- Edmonton and Calgary location: Contact (877) 322-4744
- Upcoming Dates: http://www.pinchinwest.com/scheduled-events.php
- Edmonton location: Contact Nicole Upshall at (780) 930-8641 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calgary location: Contact Richard Wegener at (403) 260-2278 or email@example.com
- Upcoming Dates:http://ca.goldertraining.com/Calendars/00.2017_Training_Calendar.pdf
The Training Trust Fund will reimburse 3rd years and journeypersons for 100% of the cost of this program. It was developed by Construction Labour Relations – Alberta with the assistance of unionized construction companies and the Alberta Building Trades Council. Go to www.bettersupervision.org for full details and registration.
Upcoming BSV Programs
Upcoming BSV Programs
|PROGRAM||LOCATION||MODULE I||MODULE II||MODULE III|
|E-PR 408||Edmonton – Boilermakers Training Hall||10 Nov||24 Nov||8 Dec|
|E-PR 409||Edmonton – Pipe Trades Training College||18 Nov||2 Dec||16 Dec|
|E-PR 410||Fort McMurray – TBA||17 Nov||24 Nov||1 Dec|
Leadership in Safety Excellent is available at the Alberta Safety Construction Association
Course Calendar: http://www.acsa-safety.org/calendar/index.php
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
- ACTIMS Women in Trades Awards / Bursaries Program– The Women In Trades Awards/Bursaries Program was created to recognize women who are members of the Canadian Building Trades, and to bring awareness of employment opportunities for women in the skilled trades. For information on these Awards/Bursaries see herehttp://www.actims.ca/page/awards.
- Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Scholarships– the Training Trust Fund has two named scholarships for $1000 each available to insulators. See www.tradesecrets.org for details on applying for the your school terms. Also on this site you will find information on the new apprentice (Jan. 2015) $4000.00 loan every year of your Red Seal Trade. Tax Benefits, information on Employment Insurance, other Scholarships, Apprentice Completion Grants for Red Seal Trades and information on Tradesmen’s Tool Deductions to be applied to your income tax return.
- Thermal Insulation Association of Alberta– There are six scholarships available annually for all three years of apprenticeship in the amounts of $1200 and $800. Information on requirements for this scholarship and applications are available at the TIAA web site at this link http://www.tiaa.cc/Scholarships.aspx
- Insulators’ Training Trust Fund of Alberta– the Fund grants a $1000 award to a 1st, 2nd and 3rd year apprentice every January at the General membership meeting. The apprentices must have passed their provincial exams in order to qualify and will receive an entry form when they turn in their NAIT tuition receipts for reimbursement. Those who qualify will have their names entered into a draw where winners from each classification will be selected at random.Call the Training Centre at 780-440-6832 for more information.
- The Robert J. Watson National Bursary Program – This annual program awards 88 bursaries of $500 for post-secondary studies to children of union members who may work on GPMA or NMA maintenance projects in Canada. The program is named in honour of the longtime GPMC chairman, who was instrumental in developing the unionized contract maintenance industry in Canada. Posted September 23, 2013 – The GPMC / NMC is pleased to announce that our annual Robert J. Watson Bursary Program has a new website designed to handle the application and submission process. Please go to ;www.rjwbursary.com to view the rules and regulations and apply for this year’s draw.